Did you know that with the wet weather you may see an increase in pest activity around your home and business?
We are currently experiencing a weather event called La Nina, which brings with it long periods of rain. With the extra rain, rats and mice are on the lookout for food, shelter and warmth.
Rodents are incredibly relentless in their search for food and have the ability to travel great distances, even across large bodies of water. They are unmatched when it comes to entering your home and can do so through the smallest of cracks, be that in widows, pipes and drains.
You can quickly identify if your home has become a beacon for rodent activity by looking out for droppings, unnatural damage to infrastructure, nests burrows and footprints.
However, rodents are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to increased rainfall. There is a compounding effect when the rains set in. Spiders, ants and cockroaches are often flushed out towards more populated areas. Your home and business is the perfect place for all types of creepy crawlies to seek refuge and to find their next meal.
So what can you do to limit your exposure to unwanted pests? We recommend the following:
- Store your food in airtight containers.
- Clean up thoroughly after preparing your meals.
- Seal up any holes larger than your fingertip – rodents may chew these openings to fit inside.
- Close any windows or doors without flyscreens.
- Keep your grass and gardens as maintained as possible, these make great nesting locations for unwanted visitors.
- Tip out any buckets collecting water.
If you are currently trying to manage an infestation or are worried about pests, call our ProPest team today.